Greek Spread #1
MINI GREEK CHICKEN TACOS
I love zucchini and I’m always trying to find new ways to use it and I’m obsessed with spiralizing it lately. I experimented with adding it to a taco with some Greek flavors and I think it turned out great. I think it adds a nice texture and flavor.
Why waste all of those leftover tortilla pieces? Cut them into strips, spray them with with cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. They’re great seasoned with salt, garlic, dried parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. These tortilla strips are perfect for snacking on and they also make a great salad or soup topper.
- 10 Fajita size (7”) Flour Tortillas
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini, medium sized, spiraled
- 4 Mini Red Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
- 20 Black Olives, sliced
- 3/4 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Spike Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Green Onions, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Cucumber, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Dill
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- A Pinch of Black Pepper
- Mix the all ingredients for the yogurt sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tortillas into 20 small rounds. Using a drinking glass with a 3-1/2” opening, cut around the glass with a sharp knife on the tortilla; you should get 2 out of each one. Bake the tortillas on an upside down cupcake pan at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes. If you don’t want to waste the leftover tortilla pieces, you can cut them into strips, spray them with cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. They’re great seasoned with salt, garlic, dried parsley and grated parmesan cheese. These tortilla strips are perfect for snacking and they also make a great salad or soup topper.
- Place chicken breasts on a cookie sheet and season with Oregano, Spike seasoning, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You can either slice the chicken into thin slices or shred it into small strips.
- Spiral the zucchini into a bowl; cook for 1 minute in microwave. Cut some of the zucchini sprials so that it’s not one big long strand.
- Fill the tortillas with chicken, zucchini, red bell peppers slices, and sliced black olives; top with feta cheese, yogurt sauce and chopped cilantro.
MINI-SPANAKOPITAS (GREEK SPINACH PIES)
These are light and flaky and filled with spinach and feta cheese and baked until crisp. They’re simple and delicious.
Recipe found here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mini-spanakopitas-greek-spinach-pies
LOADED GREEK DIP
This dip is loaded with Greek flavors. It’s so good and easy to throw together.
- 2 - 8 Ounces Containers Plain Hummus
- 1/2 Cup Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 Cup Black Olives, sliced
- 1/4 Cup Green Olives, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Artichoke Hearts, canned, diced
- 1/2 Cup Grape Tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber, Diced + 2 Teaspoons Cucumber, minced
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Teaspoons Green Onions, sliced
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoon Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Dill
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Pinches of Black Pepper
- 2 Bags Pita Chips (7-8oz size)
- Mix together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, dried dill, 1 teaspoon chopped parsley, 2 teaspoons sliced green onion, garlic powder, salt & black pepper. Chop cucumber, grape tomatoes and artichoke hearts into small pieces. Slice the green onions and black and green olives. Spread hummus onto a serving platter; spread the yogurt mixture over the hummus; top with crumbled feta cheese, black & green olives, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions and sprinkle the remaining parsley on top. Serve with pita chips.
HONEY PUFFS (LOUKOUMATHES)
I haven’t made these yet, but they look and sound delicious – homemade mini donut holes fried and drizzled with honey, walnuts and cinnamon. I would imagine they’re quite addicting.
Recipe found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/loukoumathes-honey-puffs-309156
- Egg (4 large)
- Chicken Breasts (2 large)
- Milk (3/4 cup)
- Butter (4 tablespoons)
- Cottage Cheese, low fat (1/4 cup)
- Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (1-1/4 cup)
- Philadelphia Whipped Cream Cheese (1/2 cup)
- Feta Cheese (about 2 cups)
- Parmesan Cheese, grated (2 tablespoons)
- Hummus, plain (two 8-ounce containers)
- Flour Tortillas (10 fajita size -7”)
- Phyllo Dough (5 sheets)
- Artichoke Hearts (1/2 cup)
- Black Olives (one 6-ounce can)
- Green Olives (1/4 cup)
- Cilantro (1/4 cup)
- Cucumber (1 medium size)
- Fresh Parsley (3 teaspoons)
- Fresh Spinach (10 ounce package)
- Green Onions (2 bunches)
- Lemon Juice (3 tablespoons)
- Grape Tomatoes (1/2 cup)
- Zucchini (1 medium size)
- Mini Red Bell Peppers (4)
- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons)
- Oil for frying
- Flour, All-Purpose (1-1/2 cups)
- Baking Powder (3 teaspoons)
- Sugar (4 tablespoons)
- Honey (1 small bottle)
- Walnuts, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Cinnamon (1-2 teaspoons)
- Dried Dill (2-1/4 teaspoons)
- Dried Oregano (1/2 teaspoon)
- Garlic Powder (3/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1-3/4 teaspoons)
- Black Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Spike Seasoning (1/2 teaspoon)
- Pita Chips (2 bags – 7-8oz size or 1 party size bag)
A day before the party:
- Cut the tortilla rounds and bake in the oven to form mini taco shells. Cool and store in airtight container or plastic bag.
- Spiralize the zucchini. Store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
- Slice the black olives for the tacos; store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
- Slice the mini red bell peppers for the tacos; store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
- Make the cucumber yogurt sauce for the tacos; store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
- Make the filing for the Spanokopitas; store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
- For the Greek Dip, slice the black olives and green olives, and chop the artichoke hearts, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions and parsley. Store in covered bowls in refrigerator.
- For the Greek Dip, mix together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, dried dill, parsley, green onion, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Store in covered bowl in refrigerator.
Day of the party:
- Assemble and bake the Spanokopitas. Place on a serving platter.
- Mix up the dough for the honey puffs and deep fry them. Place them on a serving platter and drizzle with honey, and top with cinnamon and chopped walnuts.
- Cook the chicken & shred it or slice it.
- Cook the spiralized zucchini in the microwave.
- Chop the cilantro for the tacos.
- Assemble the tacos and place on a serving platter.
- Assemble the Greek Dip on a platter. Place pita chips in serving bowl.
…And enjoy the spread!