Vegetarian Spread #1
ZUCCHINI & YELLOW SQUASH SLIDERS WITH ASIAN SLAW
A little unique and healthy vegetarian slider. Breaded zucchini and yellow squash on soft slider buns topped with a flavorful Asian slaw. I pan fried the zucchini and yellow squash, but they can certainly be deep fried if you prefer a little more crunch.
- 2 Medium Zucchini (36 slices)
- 2 Medium Yellow/Summer Squash (36 slices)
- 2-1/2 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2-1/4 Cups Cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 Cup Carrots, shredded
- 3 Tablespoons Green Onions, sliced
- 3/4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, julienned
- 3/4 Cup Water Chestnuts, sliced & julienned
- 3 Tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 3 Teaspoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 Teaspoons Lime Juice
- 3 Teaspoons Honey
- 3 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the slaw ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together ingredients for the dressing; toss with the slaw and set aside. Slice the zucchini & yellow squash into 1/4” rounds; dip them into soy sauce and cover them with bread crumbs. Heat a frying pan, spray generously with cooking spray and spray the topsides of the zucchini & summer squash with cooking spray. Cook each side over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until tender and golden brown. These can be deep fried rather than pan fried if you prefer a little more crunch.
- Place 2 slices of zucchini & 2 slices of yellow squash onto each slider bottom; top each one with about 2 tablespoons of slaw. Place slider tops on and serve.
CHEESY MUSHROOM PUFF PASTRY BITES
Warm, flaky puff pastry topped with baby portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions and melted Swiss cheese. Sounds like a great little vegetarian bite. This recipe makes 50 bites. I would make half the recipe for a small spread.
Recipe found here: ww.wellplated.com/mushroom-puff-pastry/#_a5y_p=2951628
FETA CHEESE COVERED OLIVES
Black olives covered in cream cheese and feta cheese with fresh dill and rolled in crushed hazelnuts.
Recipe found here: http://diethood.com/feta-cheese-covered-olives-giveaway/
ROASTED RED PEPPER AND ARTICHOKE TAPENADE
This is a simple and quick spread to make and it’s very tasty. It goes well with any type of toasted sliced baguette, crackers, or pita chips. I processed mine a bit too long when I made it, so it wasn’t quite as chunky as it was supposed to be, but it still tasted great.
SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIE BITES
Mini fudgy brownies with a gooey salted caramel filling. YUM!
Recipe found here: http://www.livewellbakeoften.com/2016/06/02/salted-caramel-brownie-bites/
- Egg (3 large)
- Heavy Cream (3 tablespoons)
- Butter, unsalted (1/2 cup)
- Swiss or Gruyere Cheese (1/4 cup shredded)
- Cream Cheese (8 ounces)
- Feta Cheese (1 cup crumbled)
- Parmesan Cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- Baby Bella Mushrooms (8 ounces)
- Cabbage (2-1/4 cups shredded)
- Carrots (3/4 cup shredded)
- Yellow Onion (1/2 of a large onion)
- Yellow/Summer Squash (2 medium size)
- Zucchini (2 medium size)
- Green Onions (3 tablespoons)
- Red Bell Pepper (3/4 cup)
- Lemon Juice (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- Lime Juice (3 teaspoons)
- Cilantro (3 tablespoons)
- Fresh Dill (1 to 2 teaspoons)
- Fresh Parsley (1/3 cup plus some for garnish)
- Garlic, minced (3 cloves)
- Thyme Leaves (1 teaspoon fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried)
- Artichoke Hearts (14 ounce can)
- Black Olives (1 can)
- Capers (1/4 cup)
- Roasted Red Peppers (7 ounce jar)
- Water Chestnuts (3/4 cup)
- Rice Vinegar (3 tablespoons)
- Soy Sauce (3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
- Toasted Sesame Oil (3 teaspoons)
- Olive Oil (4 tablespoons)
- Dijon Mustard (3 teaspoons)
- Whole Grain Mustard (1-1/2 tablespoons)
- Flour, all-purpose (1/2 cup)
- Sugar (1 cup)
- Honey (3 teaspoons)
- Cocoa Powder, unsweetened (1/2 cup)
- Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
- Ground Ginger (1/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon plus extra for brownie topping)
- Black Pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Hazelnuts (1/2 cup)
- Frozen Puff Pastry Sheet (one 10-inch square sheet)
- Panko Bread Crumbs (2-1/2 cups)
- Crackers or Pita Chips or Sliced Baguette
- Soft Caramel Candies (20)
A day before the party:
- Make the slaw & dressing for the Zucchini & Yellow Squash Sliders. Store the slaw and dressing in separate covered containers in refrigerator.
- For the Cheesy Mushroom Puff Pastry Bites, saute the onions and saute the mushroom mixture. Store the onions and mushroom mixture in separate covered containers in refrigerator. Place puff pastry in refrigerator to thaw.
- Make the Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade. Store in covered serving bowl in refrigerator.
- Make the Salted Caramel Brownie Bites. Store in airtight container.
Day of the party:
- Make the Feta Cheese Covered Olives. Place on serving platter in refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the puff pastry; cut into 2” rounds; assemble and bake the Cheesy Mushroom Puff Pastry Bites. Place on serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Bread the zucchini & yellow squash; pan fry or deep fry them and place them on the slider buns. Toss the slaw with the dressing and top the sliders with the slaw. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Arrange crackers, pita chips or sliced baguette on serving platter with the Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade.
- Arrange the Salted Caramel Brownie Bites on a serving platter.
…And enjoy the spread!